Vintage Restorations – Kathmandu Work Shop
Currently under restoration in our Kathmandu workshop is a 1958 Triumph 6T Thunderbird, one of four motorcycles gifted by the Queen of England to King Mahendra of Nepal in 1958. This bike was found in parts in various places in the Kathmandu Valley and brought back together as one bike.
These motorcycles were police specification models referred to as SAINTs, “Stop Anything in No Time,” and used in Nepal early on as the King’s escort bikes, shown in the wonderful old photograph above.
Below is one the bike coming back to life on the workshop bench. Also below is a photo of one of the other four bikes which was exported to California, and an original black & white photograph of the actual bike we are working on in Kathmandu. The engine and frame numbers are just visible on the crate. They are being packed for export at the Triumph factory in Meriden England in 1958, consigned to HM King of Nepal via Calcutta.
1948 BSA A7’s
Awaiting restoration in our Kathmandu workshop are two early rigid 1948 BSA A7’s, both also found in Nepal. The red bike below is the actual bike in the black and white photo. Proud owner is unknown. The other A7 had a much harder life and was attached to a sidecar. The now rare “long stroke” A7’s were BSA’s first vertical twins.
Found in Delhi in 1988, this bike belonged to a doctor in Calcutta according to the log book. The bike was commissioned for restoration in India back to its original “Amaranth Red” color (see below) and ridden back to Kathmandu. This bike is currently being restored once again at our shop in Vermont. Triumph’s are Forever!
The same 1950 Triumph 5T Speed Twin after a quick Delhi “Tune-Up”!
1951 Triumph Tiger 100, as found by Rob in a scrap heap in India 1989, with Matching Engine & Frame Numbers!
1927 Triumph Model N – Oldest Known Motorcycle in Nepal – Under Restoration
Originally ordered by the Nepal Government in 1969, two shipments of ten BSA A65 Police Specials were imported from BSA Birmingham England via the Nepal Embassy in London for use by the Nepal Police. The first shipment of 10 bikes started with engine/frame prefix KD0 and were all consecutive number bikes, fitted with mid 60’s pear shaped plastic tank badge petrol tanks, and radio equipped. The second shipment of 10 bikes all started with prefix ND0, non consecutive engine/frame numbers, no radios, and were all fitted with the correct for 1970 UK specification 4 gallon petrol tanks with metal badges, as seen in photograph below. The 1970 BSA A65 was the pinnacle of all A65 model years, fitted with better forks, heavier engine studs, and the now legendary TLS twin leading shoe front brake.
Road by Rob Callander
From Our Northern Thailand Workshop
Pair of Beezers : Two more late BSA A65’s – Restored at our Thailand workshop
Out for a night run into the Golden Triangle! – Northern Thailand / Laos Border